Friday, September 7, 2012

Education and The Girl Who Sold Me My Sampaguitas

Growing up in a third world country taught me a few life lessons: 
1. When you're using public transportation, make sure your bag is somewhere on your lap, to avoid getting pick pocketed.
2. Living in the Provinces is waaaay better than living in the city because of the pollution.
3. The big 'E' is something that I should not take for granted.

The big 'E' is Education. Seeing poverty, seeing children in the streets begging for food, instead of going to school, doomed for life, because they could not afford the privilege of Education, made me want to take advantage of my lucky ability to be able to attend a Private Catholic School.
I remember meeting a girl named Maria, who was always out in the streets selling Sampaguitas (Flower leis for Catholics), who rolled herself (because, she didnt have any legs) all dirty, asking me how it felt like to be going to school, and if I made any friends. Being the naive young girl, it didn't make much sense why this girl would ask me that. It was when I moved to the United States and smelled the  non polluted air for the first time (well, barely polluted air) and experienced the free public school system, that I realized: that girl couldnt afford an education, and that girl is probably had 5 other siblings, she was selling those sampaguitas for.

Take my word for it guys: People like you and I are lucky to be able to have the choice to go to college and make something out of ourselves. I know Im not in the position to dictate what you should do with your lives, but I will tell you this: There are other people out there who have it way worst that we do. Take advantage of the big 'E.'

4 comments:

  1. I agree with this Fween, never take for granted what we're able to have because a lot of others aren't. Preach it to the choir!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gob bless that girl who was trying to sell those leis. Im with you on that, never take our education for granted.

    ReplyDelete